Saturday, January 2, 2010

TAHOOOOOOOOE

We love Tahoe. It all started for us in the summer with hikes, bikes, bathing suits, and bbqs. Our love has since expanded to snow, snow, snow, fires, after ski boots (ha ha ha). Last winter I was prego. No ski hill for me. The two winters before that, I was in Rexy, and skiing in -10 temperatures sounded worse than working in a potato warehouse. So I havent been skiing in like 8 years, and havent been snowboarding in almost 4 so imagine what the scene looked like when I was forced to spend two days at the most breathtaking resort in Tahoe. Picture me rolling, sliding, careening out of control down the mountain a mass of green and black. I have bruises all over my legs; my calves, my hips, my bum, my thighs. EVERYWHERE!! I fell getting off the lift all but two times in the two days we were there. I got my lip zipped up into my jacket and was sobbing off the lift and crashed before I had even stood up. I cant even count how many times I crashed. At least 20 times each run. Poor Devin got me the whole set up for Christmas and I was awful and ready to throw in the towel. Once on the lift a woman told me she had been skiing for 4 days trying to improve, but instead was starting to hate it. I just laughed because I didnt need 4 days to hate snowboarding. I didnt even need one. The first day, I got the wind knocked out of me a few times when somehow I landed flat on my stomach backwards. Really?! I must have been hilarious to watch as I am rolling down the hill with my board rolling over and over with me. FHV worthy I am sure. Where is the video camera when we need it? I hate the dang "easy" runs that are 80% flat and if you arent going fast enough then you have to take a hike whilst all the skiers slide by with their poles to assist. Lucky ducks. Oh and nevermind snowboarding down, I can just slide on my bum because I am terrible at standing up and the hill is so steep that I cant even stop myself when I fall. And when I have to take a little hike because its too flat, and then suddenly its not flat anymore, but I cant tell and then there goes my board down the hill... without me, thats even better. WHOA WHOA WHOA!! Who let me go snowboarding?! But I will say that I finally learned how to carve. And figured out how to keep my left foot in front. It took me an entire day to decide which way I was going to ride. And then another day to figure out how to ride toe-side, but I did it. And I actually had fun for most of Day 2 despite the snow/rain. I cant wait to go again! And the view of the lake was the most gorgeous site to see!! Yay for Tahoe!! Thanks Devy for the sweet get up and the awesome lessons! What a great teacher! Dev had a little bit of a crummy day one too when he woke up with the flu. Poor kid. But he toughed it out and got a little lift sick, but kept truckin and enjoyed himself until we got home that night when he crashed until dinner. By day two, his system had been cleared of whatever junk had been making him sick and he was happy as can be and ready to show me the tricks of the trade. Thank goodness! We had such a fun time on the mountain and cant wait for our next visit. (I gave Dev tickets to another great resort for Christmas so we get to go again)

In addition to the crazy days on the hill, we had so much fun at the cabin with my family and with our friends the Rawlings. The twins and Myles couldnt get enough of "baby Bwaden" and we watched enough of the Hallmark channel and Spongebob to make us crazy. We ate delicious food, played ticket to ride 500 times, and had a wonderful time! WE LOVE TAHOE!!

3 comments:

David and Deena said...

Looks breathtaking...and fun. Proud of your perseverance on the board.

Amy said...

Sounds like fun minus the injuries. How did you get your lip zipped in your jacket?

The Probert Family said...

Sad about your zipper lip. Sorry to hear that. Other than your bruisin and cruisin, it seems like a blast of a trip in Tahoe. I can't wait for you to take us there sometime.